Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Parrotta Issues Statement About Canisius Dismissal

Canisius coach Tom Parrotta did not return calls to a variety of sources trying to reach him regarding his dismissal after six seasons as that school's men's basketball coach.

But, on Monday, Parrotta issued a statement through the Canisius sports information office. Here it is:

"I am extremely proud and thankful for the opportunity to have served at a fine institution such as Canisius College. I cannot thank (athletic director) Bill Maher enough for seeing the qualities in me to lead a Division I men's basketball program. Transition is never easy and I will do all that I can to ensure that the student-athletes stay discipllined in their studies, on the court and in the community. They are all in a position to achieve great success in all those areas and it is my responsibility at this time to reassure them that their goals to graduate, win a championship and continue to proudly represent their school are very much attainable. I surrounded myself with great assistants in Rob Norris, Derrick Worrels and Gabe Michael - all guys I feel will be stars in the coaching ranks and I commend them for their loyalty and friendship.

"My emphasis on what was best for my players was always at the forefront of my philosophy. They routinely graduate in three years and attain a master's degree in four. They played with the same passion in which I coach and were wonderful representatives of Canisius College and the Buffalo community. Most importantly, my wife and I nurtured them as our own sons and we enjoyed much satisfaction in watching them grow and mature as people. I thank them for entrusting my family with the great responsibility of touching their lives in a way that holds them as individuals with their futures as the top priority. To me, this is what coaching is all about. I now take that philosophy with me in my future coaching career in the pursuit of winning championships and touching lives."

And, so Parrotta leaves with class.

Your Hoopscribe can't profess to have known Parrotta very well. A few conversations via phone, or after a game or two annually, was the extent of my personal contact with him.

But, during those times he was always well-spoken, honest about his team and its situation and cooperative.

Those in the Buffalo media who know him far better recognize that he was a good guy, and a good coach to deal with, via a reporter-coach relationship.

The very strong guess is that Parrotta's career in college basketball will continue in some capacity.



No comments: